Caption: Fort Saint-Jean during the 1750s
First built on the west shore of the Richelieu River by soldiers of the régiment de Carignan-Salières in 1665, Fort Saint-Jean was rebuilt several times. In this plan the fort (shown as it was in the 1750s) consists of palisades with four large bastions. Surrendered to the British in 1760, Fort Saint-Jean was taken by General Montgomery’s American army after a siege in 1775 and reoccupied by British troops in 1776. It was a military base in the 19th and 20th century and the site of the Collège Royal Militaire from 1952 to 1995.
- Date modified: