History Browser

Search Results

Resource Type > Image > Art

Date > 1900

Corporal, Royal 22e Régiment, Italy, 1943

Type: Image

During the summers in southern Italy, the Canadians wore tropical uniforms like the rest of the British 8th Army. This reconstruction by Ron Volstad shows a corporal of the Royal 22e Régiment, the only Francophone regular infantry regiment in the Canadian army during the war. The unit saw its first action of the war during the landings in Sicily in 1943. Note the famous red patch of the 1st Canadian Division on the upper shoulder. This formation badge dates from the First World War. (Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Officer, Royal Canadian Navy, 1940-1945

Type: Image

This officer with his dufflecoat and binoculars is dressed as he would have been on watch at sea. With all badges of rank covered, there is nothing to show his rank, or if he is a member of the Royal Canadian Navy or the Royal Canadian Navy Reserve. Reconstruction by Ron Volstad. (Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Lieutenant, Canadian Air Force, 1920-1924

Type: Image

When the Canadian Air Force was authorized in February 1920, they were given the dark blue uniform seen in this painting of a pilot ranking as a lieutenant. Rank was shown by the traditional army system of crowns and stars, and pilots wore wings on the left breast. King George V granted the designation Royal Canadian Air Force in 1923. When the service was made a permanent part of the Department of National Defence the following year, it adopted the lighter 'RAF blue' uniform worn by its British counterpart. Reconstruction by Ron Volstad. (Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Officer, The Prince Edward Island Light Horse, circa 1912

Type: Image

In 1901, L Squadron was raised in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, as one of a number of independent Militia squadrons created in the style of the six regiments of Canadian Mounted Rifles raised for the South African War. The unit was expanded in 1903 to become the The Prince Edward Island Light Horse. This officer wears the regiment's red dragoon-style tunic with yellow facings.

Site: National Defence

Sergeant, Fort Garry Horse, Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1916

Type: Image

The Fort Garry Horse served with the Canadian Cavalry Brigade in France and Belgium between 1916 and 1918, training and waiting for the return of a type of warfare that had vanished in Western Europe. The cavalry tried to adapt, and in other theatres of war, its mobility was still extremely useful for scouting or use as fast-moving reserves. On the Western Front, however, there was little movement or manouvring until the final weeks of the war. (Library of the Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Trooper, Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1900-1902

Type: Image

Six regiments of Canadian Mounted Rifles were sent to South Africa in 1900-1902, although the final four arrived after the end of the war, and saw no service. All of them had khaki uniforms. This man wears British-made clothing, issued to replace inferior Canadian uniforms made of canvas. The 'stetson' hat was the distinguishing mark of a Canadian soldier during the war. These were bought from an American company. The Mounted Rifles wore Oliver pattern equipment (invented by a British doctor and used only by the Canadians) made up of a belt, bayonet, and haversack, along with Orndorff pattern bandoliers from British stocks. They were armed with Lee-Enfield Mark I rifles. Reconstruction by Ron Volstad. (Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Sergeant, 1st Regiment The Grenadier Guards of Canada, circa 1912

Type: Image

In 1859, the 1st Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada was ranked as the senior volunteer infantry regiment in the colony of Canada. In the years that followed, this Montreal battalion adopted a series of ever more impressive titles. In 1860 it was the 'Prince of Wales's Regiment' , in 1900, the 'Prince of Wales's Fusiliers'. In 1912, despite protests from the British government that the Canadians had no claim to the title, the unit became 'The 1st Regiment The Grenadier Guards of Canada.' At this point, the Montrealers also assumed the uniform of the senior British regiment of Foot Guards. A sergeant in red tunic and bearskin can be seen in this plate.

Site: National Defence

Advertisement for 'Twin Navy' tobacco, circa 1911

Type: Image

For the Canadians of the day, their new fleet was clearly linked with the Royal Navy. It is worth noting that the warship shown in this circa 1911 advertisement is much larger than anything then in service with the Royal Canadian Navy. Also, McAlpin Tobacco was the Canadian branch of a New York company. (Private collection)

Site: National Defence

Sergeant, 66th Regiment 'Princess Louise Fusiliers', circa 1912

Type: Image

The 66th was a Halifax unit officially born in 1869, but which incorporating volunteer companies who had served the colony of Nova Scotia since 1859 . In 1879, the unit was permitted to adopt the name of HRH Princess Louise (1848-1939), daughter of Queen Victoria. She was the wife of Sir John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne (1845-1914), who was Governor General of Canada, 1878-1883. Despite their title, the 66th Regiment 'Princess Louise Fusiliers' does not seem to have adopted the fur fusilier cap.

Site: National Defence

5th Canadian Infantry Battalion (Western Cavalry), C.E.F., Valenciennes, 9 November 1918

Type: Image

Valenciennes was an industrial centre in the north of France, near the border with Belgium. The city was the site of the last major engagement of the Canadian Corps in 1918. This watercolour, by official war artist Inglis Sheldon-Williams, shows a group of Canadian infantry moving along a sunken road. The unit can be identified by the 'battle badge' they wear on their upper arms - a red rectangle (1st Division, Canadian Corps) surmounted by a small red circle (1st battalion of the 2nd brigade). This was the 5th Canadian Infantry Battalion (Western Cavalry), Canadian Expeditionary Force. It had the subtitle of ‘Western Cavalry’ because it had been formed with men from western militia cavalry units.

Site: National Defence