History Browser

Search Results

Resource Type > Image

Date > 1900 > 1930-1939

Belmont Battery at Fort Rodd Hill, British Columbia

Type: Image

Built in 1898-1900 to protect the entrance to the Royal Navy (and later the Royal Canadian Navy) base on the Pacific, the battery has been restored to its appearance during the Second World War 1939-45. (Parks Canada)

Site: National Defence

Officer cadet, Royal Military College of Canada, 1954

Type: Image

Except for a few details, the full dress uniform of officer cadets at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario, remained essentially the same since the college was founded in 1874. As shown in this 1954 photo, only the shakos and pith helmets worn on parade by first-class officer-cadets disappeared, replaced by pill-box caps. (Canadian Department of National Defence, ZK-2049)

Site: National Defence

Bristol Bolingbroke IVT bomber

Type: Image

The Bristol Bolingbroke was a Canadian version of the British light bomber known as the Bristol Blenheim. Bolingbroke was the name given to the Canadian-built version of the Blenheim Mk. IV. Over 600 were built by the Fairchild plant at Longueuil, Quebec, starting in 1939. The Bolingbroke was the first modern, all aluminium aircraft built in Canada, but it was also obsolete before the first example flew. Nevertheless, for lack of anything better, the design was widely used. In July 1942, a Bolingbroke helped sink a Japanese submarine off British Columbia. The photograph shows a surviving Bolingbroke Mk IVT from the collection of the Canadian Aviation Museum. 457 of the Mk IVT were built and used as navigation and gunnery trainers (DND, PCN-5234)

Site: National Defence

Vickers Vedette flying boat, Royal Canadian Air Force, late 1920s

Type: Image

The Vickers Vedette was the first commercial aircraft built to a Canadian specification for Canadian conditions. The Royal Canadian Air Force needed an aircraft for forestry survey and fire protection patrols, and Canadian Vickers of Montreal responded with the British-designed Vedette with some adjustments for Canada. The RCAF bought 44 aircraft, which entered service in 1925. They were widely used in Canada's wilderness for communications with isolated communities and for making the photographic surveys needed for the preparation of maps by the Geological Survey of Canada. A replica of a Vedette is on display at the Western Canada Aviation Museum. (Department of National Defence photo)

Site: National Defence

Westland Lysander IIIa reconnaissance aircraft

Type: Image

The Westland Lysander was a rugged, short-take-off-and-landing aircraft designed for low-level reconnaissance and artillery observation. Although it first flew in 1936, the design was largely obsolete when war broke out. Canadian license-built production of the Lysander II began in 1938 at Malton (today the site of Toronto's Pearson International Airport). The first Royal Canadian Air Force squadron sent to Britain in early 1940 was equipped with Lysander II's. The later-production Lysander IIIa seen in this photograph is in the collection of the Canadian Aviation Museum. The Lysander IIIa was used mainly as a target tugs for anti-aircraft artillery practice. (Canadian Department of National Defence, PCN-5244)

Site: National Defence

HMCS Sackville, Flower-class corvette, Royal Canadian Navy

Type: Image

During the Second World War, the Canadian navy was nicknamed the 'Corvette Navy' because it had more than 130 of these small vessels escorting convoys and hunting German submarines. The custom of painting a green maple leaf on the funnel began in 1917 and became general practice during the Second World War. This photo shows HMCS Sackville, the only corvette that still survives. Built at Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1941, it was restored in the early 1980s and today is moored at Halifax as a naval museum. (Canadian Department of National Defence, 85-339)

Site: National Defence

The Quebec Citadel, circa 1950

Type: Image

Built between 1828 and 1856, the Quebec Citadel has remained largely the same ever since, as this 1950s picture shows. It is now the regimental HQ of the Royal 22e Régiment / Royal 22nd Regiment - the famous 'Van Doos'. (Library of the Canadian Department of National Defence)

Site: National Defence

Sir Eugène Fiset

Type: Image

Sir Eugène Fiset (1874-1951) was a doctor, soldier, Deputy Minister of Defence, Member of Parliament, and Lieutenant Governor. (Private collection)

Site: National Defence

British Army folding iron barrack bed

Type: Image

This type of bed gradually replaced wooden double bunks from 1824. Every day, the bed was folded and the mattress rolled up for inspection. Army Circular Memorandum of 12 June 1860.

Site: National Defence

Officer, Royal 22e Régiment, 1930s

Type: Image

Since 1928, the ‘Van Doos’ have worn a full dress scarlet uniform with fusilier pattern bearskin cap which approximates that used by their allied regiment in the British Army, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. (Canadian War Museum)

Site: National Defence