Canadian Military History Gateway
Subject > Weapons, Equipment and Fortifications > Equipment, Materials and Infrastructure > Design and Engineering
Date > 1700 > 1760-1769 > 1767
Founded in 1608 by Samuel de Champlain, Quebec City was the capital of the French colony until 1759, when British troops conquered it. The city and the colony were brought into the British empire in 1763 by the treatise of Paris. Canada and the city of Quebec remained an English colony until the confederation of Canada in 1867
The Saint-Louis forts and châteaux site is complex. It consists of three elements: the forts, châteaux and gardens. There were a total of four forts and two Châteaux.
In Quebec City, the relationship between defence and urban development was evident from 1636. The link was even closer later on, as much in general planning as in the network of streets, squares and blocks
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the Board of Ordnance was a separate government department. It supplied weapons and ammunition to the army and Royal Navy, and built fortifications and all other military buildings. It was also responsible for the Royal Artillery and the Royal Engineers.