A fort was first built on this site in 1645 and was originally known as Fort Charnisay. Later, in the 1670s, it was named Fort Martignon. In 1698, the French commandant in Acadia, the Chevalier Robineau de Villebon, had the fort rebuilt according to this plan and named it Fort Saint-Jean. It was abandonned in the early 1700s. It was built on the site of what is now the city of St. John, New Brunswick.