The Revolt of Pontiac and the American Invasion
Reinforcements from Britain
Americans Driven From Montreal
During the American invasion, the forts located to the west of Montreal, whose garrisons consisted partly of soldiers from the 8th Regiment, remained in the hands of the British. In May 1776 Captain George Forster, with 36 soldiers, supported by Claude-Nicolas-Guillaume de Lorimier leading 11 Canadian volunteers and approximately 160 Iroquois, reached Les Cèdres, on the western end of Montreal Island, where 390 American soldiers were holding a fort. Other Canadian volunteers joined Forster and quickly surrounded the fort. With no cannon, the attackers harassed the Americans with gunfire, hoping to intimidate them with the war cries of the Amerindians. It was a complete success! Terrified by the prospect of being scalped, the occupants surrendered to Forster on May 19. Two days later in Vaudreuil, a detachment of reinforcements, consisting of 150 American soldiers, fell in an ambush set for them by de Lorimier in command of a group of Canadians and Amerindians. This time, almost 100 Americans surrendered.
It was becoming increasingly difficult for the Americans to maintain their positions. On June 15 General Arnold and his soldiers suddenly evacuated Montreal, but not without committing a final perfidious act: attempting to burn the city. The Montrealers were nevertheless able to put out the flames, and the Canadian militia was mobilized to maintain order. Two days later the British troops arrived. The Americans then abandoned forts Chambly and Saint-Jean, after burning them, and regrouped at Crown Point. Thus ended the first American invasion of Canada.
- Date modified: