Caption: Fort Pitt, a North-West Mounted Police post
Fort Pitt was built as a trade and supply post for the Hudson's Bay Company in 1829. It was taken over by the North-West Mounted Police, and in 1885 was home to a detachment of 25 policemen led by Inspector Francis Dickens (son of author Charles Dickens). When hostilities broke out between the Cree and the Canadian government in April, Fort Pitt was soon besieged. The police garrison abandoned the post, fleeing to Fort Battleford. This contemporary engraving is taken from the 'Illustrated London News'.
- Date modified: