Caption: B Battery, Garrison Artillery, 1873
B battery was part of the first permanent unit of the Canadian army, the Garrison Artillery. Raised at Quebec City in 1870, B Battery acted as a gunnery school for the volunteer artillery batteries of the Canadian Militia. This print from the 'Canadian Illustrated News' of 19 April 1873 shows a competition in the firing of field guns held on the ice of the St. Charles River. The weapons are obsolete smooth bore muzzle loaders, mounted on sleigh-carriages for winter use. The gunners are in winter uniform.
- Date modified: