Caption: British field artillery limber at the time of the War of 1812
Limbers were small two-wheeled wagons that provided the ‘front wheels’ of a cannon when its trail was hooked up to it for travelling. Their boxes, also used as seats for gunners, contained ammunition and various tools to serve the gun. Four horses pulled both gun and limber. This reproduction is found at Fort George National Historic Site. Note the way the spoked wheels are 'dished' for extra strength, and slightly angled outwards at the top.
- Date modified: